View Single Post
Old 06.26.2012, 02:50 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
the magic was gone in the studio, I think it left after 1000 Leaves and made an albeit brief appearance on Nurse, but was really the exception rather than the rule. but the stage shows have been electric, unfeigned, crackling with dynamic energy and creativity since Jim came in and rejuvinated things. I think that when he left is when things were just going through the motions. That is what surprised me the most by Rather Ripped and the Eternal, that these albums aren't really that bad, and the stage show was indeed rather impressive, even without Jim's energy and vibe. I loved me some Jim O in sonic youth, my favorite of all the eras.

I've been listening to the Eternal this morning and realized what is good about it. It is a coalesced, syncretic blend of all that has been sonic youth. It has the noisecore of the early 1980s beyond experimental sonic youth. It has the structure, chords, and classic rock leads which the band tried during the post-Nurse years (Lee playing actual "leads" still trips me the fuck out!!). It has the vocal harmonies they tried with Rather Ripped too, a sort of CSN&Young approach to sonic youth. It also has the drone melodies which are patented Thurston Moore. Provokingly satire for lyrics, whispy Lou Reedesque vocals, distortion, ambience, rolling polyrhythmic drum work.

The Eternal is actually a better conclusion then I think we all realized, because I feel the Eternal has a bit of EVERY album in it. This is different than what SY had traditionally done in the past, where they evolved into new styles for each couple of albums, and then changed it up again. This album seems like a true retrospective look back sonically of what exactly is Sonic Youth music. In that regard, it makes a perfect introduction as well, because it encapsulates a bit of all the sonic youth magic, a bit of everything they do very well.

thank you sonic youth, we didn't fully understand what you gave us, but now, I get it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|