View Single Post
Old 08.10.2007, 09:25 PM   #25
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
I've read a fair amount of bad reviews for these 33 1/3 books...which are the good ones?

I really wanna check out the Double Nickels book.

They range widely in quality. They're all written by different authors, whose writing styles and expertise are all over the map. I have several, and I'm sorry to say, Loveless is a huge disappointment. Again, sad to see a great album get such shoddy treatment. In this case, the author talks a great deal about himself, and the rest of the time, mostly quotes other books or articles, whole pages, in fact, of nothing but text pulled from other sources.

On the other hand, I think Exile on Main St. is excellent (the guy from Buffalo Tom wrote that one, interestingly enough), as is Trout Mask Replica. I also have Highway 61 Revisited, which, while a bit dry and too scholarly, is nonetheless pretty fascinating for its thoroughness.

I have Paul's Boutique, which I haven't gotten into yet, but it looks pretty good from just a quick skim through it.