Thread: Mental illness?
View Single Post
Old 06.23.2019, 11:36 PM   #6
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, it's all good. My mum probably does more about it than I do, but that's mostly because any reading about it for too long tends to get me down.

I'm at the high functioning end of the spectrum (what used to be called Asperger's syndrome, before they dumped it in DSM-V). So yeah, I get fixated on things and fuck up socially; but apart from that I'm fairly regular.
On the other end, you've got the highly disabled non-verbal people who basically need full-time care.

There's some concerns that the spectrum is being widened too much though, and that we've got people who are just 'odd' being classed as autistic and getting help that they arguably don't need.
There is medication for some of the more extreme parts of it, but I've never been on it AFAIK.

(There's a guy, John Elder Robison, who's very Asperger's and has written several books about it. Look Me In The Eye is a memoir - he had an interesting life; he made special effects guitars for KISS and stuff. And Raising Cubby is about watching his autistic son grow up. If you've heard of Running with Scissors, the author of that is Robison's younger brother.)
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|