View Single Post
Old 03.27.2008, 11:29 AM   #51
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Everybody's got different tastes and all, but when I first heard they're cover of "Beat on the Brat" on it back in '87 I honestly got what was so great about punk rock for the first time. I was into post-punk before punk, and when Sonic Youth pulled that back to the basics number, they laid out the energy of the freedom that came from banging out those two chords in two minutes for the whole jaded world to see.

Then you've got the title track, which for me, achieves everything the Beastie Boys ever wanted to do but messed up swigging Budweiser. Smartass White-noise Rap the way God would have intended if God weren't so fucking square and serious and shit.

The sound collage stuff is gratuitous as fuck, sure, but it's every bit as fun as Negativland's first record in a very similar sort of way. It sounds like a band having a good time and laughing at the fact that the world is treating them as important, and making a joke about that by acting stupid, but never fully disguising that they are just acting stupid.

So yeah, Master-Dik is a curio, if Sonic Youth is a curio.

exactly. dead on, dead-air.

i don't know about yr copy, but the paper sleeve on mine has a review from Maximum RockNRoll. the esteemed Mr. Weasel says

"Sonic Youth - who like to sing about shit that no one understands. But there are a hell of a lot of people who pretend they do, thus making themselves feel hip while stuffing greenbacks into the pockets of the aforementioned 'artists.'

Now there's a word: 'ARTIST.' Yes, Lydia Lunch, Diamanda Galas, and Sonic Youth are all artists and you and me just ain't cool enough to be diggin' their scene. I'm real fuckin' sorry, but Lydia Lunch getting fucked by a .357 magnum is not my idea of art. It is however my idea of a brilliant marketing scam."

next to the review are band photos that make me think of goo. very "rock star-ish" in one sense... but clearly just a band having fun at a photo shoot dressing up like rock stars. i thought the choice of music and the photos together formed a brilliant response to someone who writes

"It's like in order to get on SST records you have to

1. Be really boring and pretentious
2. Hate hardcore
3. Look like my dad"

hahaa, FUCK YOU, Ben!!

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|