View Single Post
Old 01.01.2013, 07:34 AM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
ok, ive taken your premise seriously and listened to the Tool song, and the person who set it to the extreme sports footage has, despite my initial cynicism, chosen the perfect visual accompaniment to Tool's music.

Im not a musician, but the difference between the two is the extent of the variation in the music. When Tool decide to "switch it up a gear" it comes in the form of SLIGHTLY LOUDER GUITARS. When Tool want to introuce some tension, it comes from GUITARS GETTING SLIGHTLY QUIETER BEFORE BECOMING SLIGHTLY LOUDER AGAIN (side note, this is the same reason I dont like Mogwai Fear Satan, but thats another thread)

With Swans, all of the shifts occur below the surface, they only become apparent to you after theyve happened. It appears to be plodding along fairly consistently, but then a nanosecond later you realise something is different, something has changed. And thats not even taking into account Gira's vocals. Or the way they introduce force and volume (yes, their earlier work is all force and volume, but im referring to their reformed incarnation).

Tool were always sold to me on the idea that "Hey, this is really intense, you'll like it!" and then when i got the CD home it just didnt click with me at all. On the surface, the two songs may be similar, but there's something completely different driving them.

Edit, I want to thank you actually, this has helped remind me what I really love about Swans.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|