View Single Post
Old 12.11.2018, 05:38 PM   #5286
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Hm. BRIAN ON FIRE? Does that count?

I always thought you had excellent taste in literature Pony. Read any good novels/short story collections lately?
Aaah, thanks! Hearing that makes me really happy

I have Brain on Fire sitting on my desk, but I was reluctant to read it, because somebody said it read like a scientific essay. They might have exaggerated, but I haven't looked into it after I was told that. Have you read it? What did you think?

Oh, I read GOOOOOD stuff in the last few months. But you gotta know, the person who finds the following books good is a depressed girl in her mid-twenties ;-) I will give you two each, for now.

SO! Short stories:
Her Body and other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado - weird and good. a lot of emphasis on the body and what they endure. violence!

Homesick for Another World by Ottessa Moshfegh - people just trying their best, man.

novels:

Eve Out Of Her Ruins by Ananda Devi - I picked this up while I was at Foyles in London (my new favourite book store!). I have NEVER heard of this author. Probably because she is not American/English and has (to my knowledge) not yet been translated into german. BUT! LET! ME! TELL! YOU!: I am so glad I bought the book. THIS IS SO BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN!! It's basically the story of the life of a bunch of kids in Mauritius. There is a shit ton of violence, but also a lot of love. The former really outweighs the latter, but in the end you're like "oh wow. yeah. this is a narrative of love", while basically EVERYONE IS BLEEDING TO DEATH AND LYING IN A POOL OF EVERYONE'S BLOOD.
(can you tell this book really excites/excited me?)

After Delores by Sarah Schulman - ok, so I read the author's non-fiction book "Conflict Is Not Abuse" (basically a book about how to be a normal human being) earlier this year, and I absolutely LOVED it. I didn't know she also wrote fiction, and After Delores made me want to read ALL her fiction. It's about the aftermath of a (lesbian) relationship, with the protagonist being really, and I mean REALLY(!), out of it, being between "BUT I LOVE HER!" and "I WANNA KILL HER / THIS OTHER PERSON/ OH AND THIS ONE / WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!". Beautiful depiction of a hurt brain and body post-love. Very relatable imho. But not boring. Cause, like, "other stuff" also happens. It's about people trying to get their shit together after it hit the fan and WHILE it is hitting the fan.
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|