View Single Post
Old 10.03.2006, 12:59 AM   #20
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Frankly, I don't see why people seem to love Sonic Nurse and Murray Street so much...for me MS had "Karenology/Karen Revisited" and "Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style" ("Rain On Tin" is a good song, but it's hardly the masterpiece some fans/critics make it out to be), while SN had no really good songs after "Stones" ("Paper Cut Exit" was OK, but I think Lee's done/can do better, and "I Love You Golden Blue" had a cool intro but after that the track was weak IMO)...

I think the expression "Too many cooks spoil the broth" works in the case of Sonic Youth's 2000s...Jim O'Rourke might be good with Gaster Del Sol and such, but with SY he did nothing but weigh down the band and overcomplicate things, turning them into a second-rate Wilco ripoff at best and weak post-rockers at worst.

For me, Rather Ripped is more cohesive and propulsive, now that they've shed the excess baggage...I haven't heard enough of NYC Ghosts and Flowers to judge there, but what I have heard I like...
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|