View Single Post
Old 04.16.2006, 02:11 AM   #83
hambu hodo
little trouble girl

hambu hodo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
neongod, you're from baltimore? do you play in any local bands? i may know you. hehe.

but anyways, i think i'm going to weigh in with my two cents on this album. i'm sorry if anyone is frustrated that i've already heard it, but i can promise you that i will purchase the album and that jesus has already died for our sins.

1. reena - perhaps my favorite track on the album. great opener, very strong. terrific vocals by kim, nice arrangement. it will be a great live song also, i can tell... especially on the little breakdown part.

2. incinerate - not a bad song, very catchy. it sounds A LOT like green mind-era dinosaur jr. doesn't sound much like sonic youth though... sounds very clean and accessible in the verses.

3. do you believe in rapture? - not my favourite song, but it might be growing on me. i like how they took some chances with the production, but it sounds kind of like an arena rock, hold-up-yr-lighter song.

4. sleepin around - sounds sort of like an unfinished sketch of a velvet underground song. the drums on the mix that i have heard are way too quiet, and its not as driving as it could be.

5. what a waste - sounds like it should be on experimental jet set. again, it sounds sort of unfinished. kim doesn't sing it as well as she sings the other songs on the album, but i do love the lyric, "i can't wait to taste your face."

6. jams run free - this song sounds like it would normally be a b-side or bonus track or something... theres just not a whole lot to it. maybe i need to listen to it more, but i find it sort of boring.

7. rats - fantastic. lee's catchiest song since "genetic." arrangement is very effective and it sounds like theres some light tape delay on his voice that reminds me of the vocal production of "hey joni." and it will definitely be a great live song.

8. turquoise boy - a pretty song with a nice piano track. kim sings it very well, and it has a light and airy quality to it. much more melodic than the typical sy song.

9. lights out - so far i'm not really digging this song. i don't care much for the lyrics and the chorus is kind of boring and poorly executed. maybe it will grow on me.

10. the neutral - very catchy, fresh verse. very stale chorus that sounds very much like a sonic nurse rip off. great vocal production though, sounds very warm.

11. pink steam - epic-ish arrangement. definitely thurston's best vocals on the album. strong song and the recording does it justice.

12. or - a nice, introverted closer... with bad lyrics. but the textures are there and thats what counts.

all in all, i approve. i can't wait to hear the final mixes, and i have a feeling that the album will really grow on me.