View Single Post
Old 06.25.2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
It is nearly impossible to tell, and sometimes people with a good ear and amazing foresight are able to see possibilities in certain bands or sounds or genres which help them see the onrushing future of music, but it is a tricky business.
It is very hard to guess where the next musical evolution will head. In 1970 there would have been very very few people that could have predicted that a guy with a couple of turntables and a couple of records, would endlessly repeat a 4 second drum break from an old R&B song, while another guy would speak rhymes and boasts over it.
In 1976-78, when the aforementioned was happening, it would have been a shot in the dark to predict that what less than a hundred people in NYC were doing at clubs and house parties would grow to overshadow rock music and take over the consciousness of the entire world.

Right now we are at another crossroads. Somewhere, in some garage, or basement, or bedroom, or tiny dive, in some country anywhere in the world, a few people are mixing up their influences and their musical (or non-musical)tools and conjuring up a new music, something that has yet to take flower, and may never take flower.

I always wonder about this. What is next? while there are always dozens of revivals at any time occuring, and people still seek to perfect older forms, even recent ones, trying to guess what the disaffected and alienated youth of the next ten years will be grokking interests me.

What type of sounds do you think will be coming down the pike?

I used to think that the next mass consciousness msuic, at least in the USA, would involve a convergence of the Tejano/ranchero music, with it's conjunto instrumentation, and asian polyphonic rhythms and traditional acoustic instruments. anything that sounds "fresh" to the kids will be loved by the kids, especially if it is seen as "their own."

I may just be rambling, but I would like to know what you guys, who are much closer to the cutting edge of the new shit than most people I run into, think is coming next.