View Single Post
Old 07.28.2010, 08:12 PM   #25
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
I like the 33 1/3 books for what they are... essentially mini magazines devoted to (more or less) an album I like. They're perfect commuter fodder (subways and buses).

I don't like to gauge books' worthiness based on where I'd read 'em, but they do have a pulp-like feel to them. And the injection of a "fan" into the mix, when well written, is fine... I didn't mind Colin Meloy's Replacements book (but I'm a Decemberists fan).

And I liked the 100 page Shadow interview that was Entroducing.

Some are TERRIBLE. I keep picking up Daydream and thumbing through it then putting it back down. I just can't imagine it being enjoyable... and it sounds like I'm right. [smirk]

And G20C is the better book, but I love the dated optimism of Confusion Is Next... having spent my formative years in the "Alternative Era" - a book without the cynical edge looking back on that is kinda fun.
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|