View Single Post
Old 11.14.2017, 03:47 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Yes, this was a good part of what I was getting at by bringing up Ellen Page's words. In fact, I was just gonna title the post something like "The 'men are fucking pigs and it's fucking enough already' thread", but Page's stance and stories seemed like a more powerful start.
i think it’s wrong to put it all on “the menzes”

abuse is abuse. it’s systemic. it’s transmitted in families and institutions. everyone participates in it.

personally, i’ve been both recipient and witness of sexual and domestic abuse by women. i don’t like to make a big fuss about it, but yeah. good luck reporting that a woman hit you or that she’s sexually harassing you at work. it’s just men who are presumed guilty. women do it, and more often than you think. the time hasn’t come yet when we can speak about it though.

this is of course not about demonizing “women” just as much as i’m not demonizing “men”. this shit is everywhere. it needs to be dealt with as such.

the fact is that abuse is a systemic illness. it goes from one generation to the next and it’s passed along and across gender lines. the cure has to be systemic or it just won’t happen. the focus on an individual scapegoat or singling out a gender does not cure that. it’s just a pretend-cure.

so yeah, i don’t believe that blame games and scapegoating are going to solve anything. sure it’s great to bring these things into public awareness, but the way we’re going about it is gonna eventually backfire the way witch burnings backfired.

take for example the recent louis c.k. situation— he confesses and apologizes and expresses regrets his actions. bizarre actions if you ask me, but he owns up to them.

rather than being given a chance at repentance and eventual redemption (not today— but eventual) everyone points fingers at the weirdo and he’s just declared an outcast for life. that’s it!

that sort of thing isn’t going to help the next guilty person admit to or address their deficiencies, much less in public. everyone now has to claim being right 100% of the time—or else.

so— more hypocrisy to come— think of trump’s ultradefensive threats of lawsuits for example. or the guiltiest of people acting the most self-righteous like televangelists do. hey, while i’m busy pointing fingers at someone, i don’t have to look at my own toxic conduct!

the french revolution may have been a leap in the struggle for freedom, but it had to go through robespierre and the terror and later napoleon and two returns to the monarchy and many other fuckups before it settled into some sort of reasonable republicanism.

so, great that there is more awareness of these issues. as for the public stonings and decaptiations— i don’t know where that will lead.

but anyway, the anger is out. let’s watch the heads roll.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|