View Single Post
Old 02.22.2010, 12:02 PM   #18
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Backgammon rules. Got my very first backgammon last night actually. My friend who I play with was having a bad night haha.

Anyway, yes it is a very easy game to learn. The hardest thing to understand probably is the concept of how to properly bear pieces off the board.

But indeed there is strategy to the game. Obviously there is the element of chance in the dice roll that effects how good of a move you can make. But there is strategy in what you do with your dice roll. Such as if you got 3/5 on your opening roll, you could make your 4 point, and that'd be safe, or you could move your your um, I think it's the 11 point on the opponents outer table, whatever the number is where you have 5 blocks on the outer edge and put one on your 7 point and the other on the 9 point. Which sets you up for a better point on your next turn. And you don't have to worry about that exposed block too much because the odds of getting the roll to hit it aren't too hot.

The game is really about understanding odds. Like utilizing your rolls and if you leave a block exposed, try not to leave it seven spaces away from an opponents block, because they have the best chances of hitting you that way. the better idea would be to get as close as possible or pass it. Since there are only two ways to hit a block one space away, as opposed to the like 7 or however many to hit one 7 spaces away. So yeah, there's luck involved, many games involve luck. But in Backgammon it's also about using your moves to skew the other players chances of hurting you.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|