View Single Post
Old 01.29.2017, 12:20 PM   #69
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
i always felt that To Be Kind was better than the Seer. haven't really gone near The Glowing Man. i will when i absorb the last two.

I think The Seer is so much better than To Be Kind. I'm sorry. It's just, like, no contest. The Seer was an evolution — a massive step. To Be Kind just stomped on the same ground until all the grass and dirt and sand got all mushed together. It's still good, but it borders on grating, and pushes things to extremes. It also seems to — as I've said before — lack the tonal variety of Seer.

There's nothing on To Be Kind that strikes quite like "Avatar." Not to my ears anyway. So, like I said, for me The Seer positively owned 2012. To Be Kind is great, and I think the consensus is that it's better than The Seer, but for me it just didn't have the same immediacy or appeal. Still a remarkable record, though.

The Glowing Man seems to take a step back and sideways. It's closer to Seer and My Father... than it is to TBK. But I think Seer is inarguably the definitive document from the 2010s iteration of SWANS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
why doesn't SY produce something like this?

I'd love to know. I really would. Apart from the obvious things like Kim and Thurston not probably being interested in collaborating. I think they could get over that for the purposes of a defining document. If George and Paul and Ringo could get together and not only record withthe ghost of their dead friend, but then sit under a tree and wank off about themselves for a 5-hour film, then I'd say Kim and Thurston could at give some interviews together. And probably should, before they start to... you know... Die.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|