View Single Post
Old 06.07.2010, 06:32 AM   #67
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
8.5.. 9.0.. close enough! Lemme guess, his label had ads, or he was covered in the news or their video section a lot before release? If so, that means that they've been scanning the internet for leak hype, and they saw they couldn't miss the boat on this release, they had to give it an official rating of 9 or more, so people don't accuse them of missing out like they did with Kurt Vile, or so I've heard elsewhere on this board...

In all seriousness, it's a great record -- definitely deserves a 9, and honestly it's one of the few of the year I can see myself listening to well into next year. It's kinda nice that a band who actually KNOWS HOW TO WRITE SONGS (with, you know, progressions, parts that make sense and connect in intelligent and interesting ways... an understanding of dynamics and relationships between instruments... songwriting, ah, how I missed thee), and HAS RHYTHM (not faceless directionless drone skronk # 325o352o352 hipster moaning asshole releasing 2520250825 things a week to constantly be in your face) is getting so much positive attention. While the album has some immediately accessible songs and sections, it doesn't reveal its true beauty until quite a few listens, and the fact that it's almost sorta, y'know... I won't say "challenging", but, you know, maybe "not obvious" and "not completely simple", er.. gives me hope. I'd like to see a band like his get popular, really. One of the only times in history I can think of someone benefitting from better production, and having a big band, and not sounding like complete overpolished shit. I liked his no-fi stuff before, but his album is addictive as hell.

Seriously though, this stuff's good. I can't express it enough. Get this record.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|