View Single Post
Old 03.13.2007, 04:48 PM   #13
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
I have a friend who is OBSESSED with the band Bright Eyes, and i mean OBSESSED, anyway he 'plays' guitar and sings like Conor Oberst, and is trying really really hard to try and pretty much completely copy what Conor does and has done.
But, he refuses to listen to any thing other that Bright fucking Eyes, he won't listen to any historical music and by historical i mean Beatles etc, the bands that Conor probably listens to and has great appreciation for.
Ive tried to get him to listen to the music of other singer/ songwriters who make that acoustic type music that Bright Eyes fits into, but he wont have it.

Anyway, this reminded me of what you said about your drummer friends, he has no appreciation for other musicians, and i think to be a musician you have to, You just HAVE TO!, otherwise how do you understand where you are coming from?

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to get at, but my brain was to fried to think straight (from work, not drug related, haha). Seriously, these guys want to just be the next screamo band (which, by the way, I don't understand either). But they want to just start playing without ever learning the basics. And the ONLY thing they listen to is crap like Thursday, Silverstien, and all of that screamo crap. And sorry if that offends you if you are a fan, although I feel I am probably in good company here. But even if in the long wrong you want to do that TYPE of music, that's fine, it's your perogative. But if you want to do it and sound even halfway interesting and original, you have to broaden your horizons a little, otherwise you will just be another carbon copy with a myspace page.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|