View Single Post
Old 07.30.2007, 11:04 AM   #28
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I love Pentangle.
Some of their stuff is definitely more folk-rock, some has a bit of jazz influence as well. "Cruel Sister" and "Solomon's Seal" are two favorites for me with them. Love many a Jansch and Renbourn solo LP as well.

I wasn't implying that folk had to be purist/trad to be considered "folk" earlier; I just think some artists are far more singer/songwriter than folk and just because something is acoustic guitar/voice-based doesn't mean it's "folk." Now, I can't stand Ani Di Franco, but I love Nick Drake and I would place him in more of a singer-songwriter category than a folk one as well.

Some folk stuff I love, some very far-out and some closer to trad:

Stone Breath (some of the very best this country has offered up in the past decade)

Certain Current 93 LPs, "Thunder Perfect Mind" and "Earth Covers Earth" in particular

Comus - First Utterance

Stone Angel - S/T

Midwinter - S/T

Robbie Basho - The Grail and the Lotus

Jan Dukes DeGrey - Rats and Mice In The Loft (stretching a bit, but awesome)

The 2nd and 3rd LPs by Judy Collins are really really great; filled with agony and death. Don't let what happened to her later on get in the way of these two great albums!

Edit:
I enjoy so much of this stuff it's hard to come up with a short list!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|