View Single Post
Old 06.25.2006, 10:26 PM   #28
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by follow.blind
Just...you know - I usually listen to music in the tram. I think it's great to just sit and watch how everything pass by: I become an independent spectator; everything around is just like in a movie...
Sonic Youth's records are the ideal stimulant. One could almost feel the social-vibrations etc. (Yes, I'm very sensitive person :-) )
When I listen to Rather Ripped it has no effect, just a flat nothing.
And I feel bad about it.

Once again I agree, to a certain degree. When I listen to Sonic Youth's other records it really gets me amped up. They really know how to get yr energy flowing. But with this record, I don't really feel as much. The hint of energy is still lingering in some of the songs, but overall it's largely absent.

I do not mean to insult the band by any means what so ever. I love them and their music. It's just that in my opinion they released a bit of a lack-luster group of songs and called it an album. It just doesn't really hit you the way that all the other albums do. It's not their worst album but it is far from being one of their best. I'm not adverse to hearing some of their songs live on tour, some of them sound pretty good. It's just that as a whole Rather Ripped falls short. But it's not really their fault.

All musicians go through slumps. It happens to all musicians who have been around as long as Sonic Youth have. I mean come on! 25 years in the music industry and they have released very few songs and even fewer bad albums. If this is the weakest Sonic Youth can do then that's still pretty goddamn good. I know that a lot of other extremely talented musicians have done much worse than this. It may not be Sonic Youth in top form but it's still decent. Rather Ripped doesn't really suck, it just falls short of living up to the Sonic Youth legacy.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|