View Single Post
Old 07.05.2007, 09:03 AM   #118
sarramkrop

A little anedocte porky-style to explain why thinking that everything can be considered art is damaging to both the artist,the public and the student:

When I did volunteering as a music therapist, I used to also occasionally help out the patients with the artwork that was assigned by the person who was in charge of the visual side of things. Said person would make these human beings produce the worst artwork that you could possibly imagine, in the patronizing belief that they weren't capable of producing better things that would also boost their morale and confidence. Said person lacked in both technique, ideas and simple experience in improving the artistic skills of the patients whenever it was possible, which generally resulted in some of the worst drawings and sculpture that I have ever seen. Said person had also had very high opinion of themselves, which meant that they couldn't objectively judge the potential of a patient for producing some interesting work. Said person generally thought that a few scribbles on paper were the highest artistic achievement that they could get out of a potentially talented patient because, you know, everything is 'art'.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|