View Single Post
Old 05.01.2007, 02:42 PM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Part of me feels like I've been baited and that I'll be mocked for jumping in to correct some small classical music thing, but I can't help myself..... Sorry Glicey.

Mahler wrote many traditional Lieder, but they're not that well known. At least compared to his orchestral songs, which are very well known. In particular are the Kindertotenlieder (Songs on the Death of Children) and Das Lied von der Erde (The Song of the Earth). As you might imagine, there are some pretty sad songs to be found there. He also included songs in some of his symphonies; the 4th movement of his 2nd symphony is an orchestral song from Des Knaben Wunderhorn. The title is "Urlicht," which means Primeval Light, more or less. It is pretty sad.

I know a lot of people though would mention Strauss's Vier Letzte Lieder--the last things he wrote. I'm not super familiar with them. They're orchestral songs too. Three of the texts are by Hermann Hesse, who I know is popular among some people here. I need to get a recording of them.

Well, thanks for correcting me. Like many, I'm more familiar with Mahler's symphonies; I shall have my classical sources hunt down the lieder [arf].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|