View Single Post
Old 01.06.2007, 02:55 PM   #27
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Thank you! I don't have the cd book at home, but that proves what I was saying nicely. The sound was manipulated live on stage, and it certainly implies that it probably happened more than once. I will give that the word "re-created" is curious, though it would only follow they'd need to clean up a 1983, probably cassette, recording.

I think the phrasing is ambiguous at best. "the microphones were turned towards the audience and the musicians modified the sound that came back to them. This piece, characteristic of the spontaneous sound experimentations of the early 1980's, was recorded in Berlin at the Loft in 1983 (and re-created at Echo Canyon, New York, in 2001)

My impression was always that they just took audience tapes and did the modification/manipulation at Echo Canyon. If it was actually done live on the fly in front of the crowd as you suggest, that's pretty cool -- but I don't think the notes make that 100% clear. A tape of the show is circulating and you'd think it would be apparent. Can anybody confirm?

Someone should post the 'Audience' track, I doubt many people have heard it...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|