View Single Post
Old 04.29.2016, 09:47 AM   #15
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Does not PJ sing? Are not there vocals in SY? Stay focused man

Gotcha gotcha gotcha.

Let me reiterate then that Kanye's not a pick.

I guess Fugazi kind of works though, since the vocal stylings of Ian Mackaye and Guy Piccioto really did evolve over time, from hardcore hollering on 13 Songs to a complex interplay of two distinct voices and personalities. Ian's fairy tale giant grumble turned into something more diverse, as he incorporated whisper-singing ("me and thumbelina") and shockingly melodic deliveries from the upper register ("Epic Problem"). Guy's nasal Brit-punk influenced sound complemented Ian's gruff, decidedly "American" punk sensibilities, and on the later records, have the entire band a broader range ("Life and Limb").

So yeah, Fugazi still stands.

Actually, so does Unwound, who, like Fugazi, just got more and more vocally and musically versatile between the release of their first and last album.

And I still say Tom Waits. He may sound pretty much the same now as he did in '94, but he's come a long way vocally since Heart of Saturday Night. He's embraced the uniqueness of his voice over the last 40 years, and allowed himself to really go nuts with his pipes, voicing different characters and always treading the line between Beefheart and, like, Randy Newman or some shit, to great effect, without ever sounding corny.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|