Thread: Odd Future
View Single Post
Old 07.28.2010, 08:02 PM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus. Are any of you guys into this stuff? Just got introduced by a friend, and damn if it isn't sounding absolutely stunning to me right now. They're near impossible to find out much about (I mean THIS is their site), but as far as I can work out, they're a collective of Los Angeles (I think?) rappers, but they're all like 17-18, and yet genuinely, in a totally non-'aw, look at the ickle kiddies saying naughty words' kind of way, are making some of the most exiting and original but UTTERLY messed up new hip-hop I've heard in forever.

As I said, I've only just started listening, which usually makes me not want to post a thread, because I do sometimes have a massive but short lived liking for stuff that I then realise is shit, and don't want to run on here claiming this generation's Wu have arrived or anything, but as it stands my mind is well and truly blown.

Describing music in words always ends up as a mess, but the nearest I can get is something like 'Some teenagers equal parts into southern rap and vintage MF Doom decided to a modern update of Gravediggaz, and then Flying Lotus and Odd Nosdam did a load of remixes on the worst day of their respective lives', but that doesn't come close. More creatively, one blog I read wrote about the kind of semi-head of the group:

'Imagine, if you will, that in some parallel dimension, Zev Love X and the bastard female offspring of satan had a child together. Now, lets say that this same daughter of satan happens to be one of the hoes in N.E.R.D‘s “Lapdance” video, and that she leaves the little dude on the set upon finishing her scene. Then, when he gets old enough, he goes to his father only to find out that he’s changed his name to DOOM, he’s one of the most respected MC’s in the world, and wants nothing to do with the little shit. This little shit in our dimension would probably parallel Tyler, The Creator'

This is the track that got my attention (warning, NSFW/HORRIBLE), and somewhere between there, downloading a load of their stuff, and the first track on Tyler's album 'Bastard' (which is one of the best full releases I've yet heard by them), or Earl rapping about his mum getting him out of bed (and calling him a faggot) in the most horrible terms possible, I became totally hooked. I don't know, maybe I've just totally flipped and it's not all that great. I know I've hyped this a lot and thrown some big comparisons around. But for some reason the more I listen to this stuff the more it sounds kind of like when I first heard Anticon, in terms of just being totally out of left field and fantastic. It's also kind of very retarded at times, in a totally genuine teenage way. It's hip-hop Jim, but not as we know it...

Have I gone crazy? Feedback people.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|