Thread: death grips
View Single Post
Old 04.30.2012, 12:57 PM   #63
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

Just heard Death Grips, like it more that I expected as I don't like any of Zach Hill's previous things that I've heard, and I imagined from what I read that Death Grips would sound like a cross bewteen Anticon and Dalek, and in a way they do, but they don't suck like Anticon and they aren't boring like Dalek. The dude's rapping style reminds me more of Sensational than any of those (mostly awful) shouty rappers that guy was going on about.

Agreed on the Anticon/Dalek comments.I do like some stuff Dalek did,but overall it drags on and he's tedious. I don't understand why anyone would consider shit post-rock with beats and hip hop posturing like Clouddead anything other than a hipster, semi-arsed take on a musical form with a precise, yet malleable in the right hands, formula. I had only heard about the Zach Hill connection before I've listened to Death Grips, and if anything it made me suspicious because the person who was enthusing about them was making a big fuss about them sampling Black Flag. I'm no hip hop expert, but I like my hip hop when it stands proud and less manipulated by anyone who desperately wants to attach a ''live element'' to it. In this case I think it's mostly successful, even though I have some reservations about certain samples and atmospheres.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|