View Single Post
Old 12.30.2014, 09:27 AM   #1608
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I think YG was a victim of the “first quarter fuck-its” for me. We'd just ended a fucking incredible year for hip-hop, where almost all the big names we all love released mind-be singly awesome material *.

Then we started 2014 with hopes of seeing new Wu, Kanye & Kendrick.. But all that ended up happening for he first few months of the year with nothing but Rick Ro$$ on the shelves as far as established motherfuckers go.

YG was kinda just there. Along with Kid Ink, Sage The Gemini, and a bunch of other “Well, whooptie-shit! Generic bangers and more of the same!”

It literally took the entire year for me to develop an appreciation for it. It wasn't a flash in the pan. My Krazy Life really is a fresh little album, and YG stands out from the crowd big time.

I now agree with most of popular culture, and believe YG's debut is definite “classic” matrial... I don't think he has done anything to earn comparisons to Kendrick's “... m.A.A.d. city” but that's just me. It's just a great coming of age rap record born of Gangsta nostalgia. But it's not fair to place it next to a champion game changer.

But yeah, it's pretty dope. I was guilty of sleeping on it for a bit.

I also have to admit that I love both Blacc Hollywood & Paperwork & The New Classic & Cadillactica & Year of the Wolf & Seen it All. Haha! Not top ten material for the most part, but very enjoyable records all.
* I just want to take a minute to mention Jay-Z here. My initial reaction to Magna Carta was positive, but a little bit unenthusiastic. I gave into the bad press. I spun that shit in the background and never really blasted it on headphones enough to appreciate the production and the excellent lyrics. I made the wrong call in the end. Magna Carta, Holy Grail was every bit as good as Nothing Was the Same.... Good thing HOV doesn't give a shit what I think about his records. Lol!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|