View Single Post
Old 01.21.2009, 10:04 AM   #127
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i dont think theyve ever been the sort of band to continuously do the same album...thats what i like about them, they "evolve". rather ripped just sounded so "devolved" (like i said before)...just my opinion.

i dont think opinions always make one "elite"...also...i dont think everyone has to like everything sonic youth does, just because sonic youth does it. thats just tacky.
You have a right to your opinion, and I never said that one must adore everything SY-related. But one thing is expressing your opinion and other is slaying a good record like RR, it might not be the typical SY record, but it has good songs in it.
To me this situation feels like what went down with Metallica during the Load and Re-Load period, they were heavily crictized for making alternative albums and completely disregard their metal roots, when actually they were taking a step forward and making some decent songs, even though those were not the typical songs one would expect to hear on a Metallica record.
After a few years they give in to the pressure and start to rush back to their roots, what's the result? Fucking shite albums with god awful sound, resulting on tours where they play almost only songs from the Black Album and earlier albums.

It's not like you can compare Metallica and SY (of course SY is THE shit ), but this situation reminds me a lot of what Metallica went through, and I'd rather see the band I love go on a different direction, do something I don't expect them to do, but do it well, rather than giving in to pressures and ending up releasing big piles of real crap.
But that's my two cents.
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|