View Single Post
Old 12.15.2014, 12:44 PM   #18421
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Damn it. Aside from some of the kaurismäki, I've seen every single one of those fucking movies.

There has to be some cool Sundance-y thing I haven't seen yet.

Greenaway's probably indie, Four Weddings and a Funeral not. I'm not sure how the powers that be figure this stuff out.

indie just means made outside the big movie studios. today, that includes a bunch of big movie studio subsidiaries (it all started when disney bought miramax in the mid 90s). even shit like "the passion of the christ" is an "indie" movie. i haven't seen that, btw, but might some day just cuz monica bellucci.

reason i asked about foreign film is because in europe there are well-established production facilities (the bbc, cinecittá, etc) but many also get serious support from their culture ministries, etc. so, are all of them "indie" or are none of them "indie"? maybe this definition does not apply outside the usa.

e.g., shallow grave, which is thematically and estehetically very much a 90s "indie" movie, was funded by publicly-owned channel four (it wasn't a lot of money in that budget, but still...)

and then-- hong kong? china? bollywood? the iranians? how do the economics of filmmaking work there? i have no idea.

as for your quest for unearthed gems-- i'll try to throw more names later. have you seen "paris is burning"? great documentary.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|