View Single Post
Old 11.12.2007, 07:18 PM   #15
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Meat Puppets are from the Phoenix area. And no, I don't have to wiki for that. I remember reading one article on them before some of you were even born.

Don't get on my case, avant-flea.

And if that seems harsh, then you might want to reexamine your groundless, harsh attack on my writing, neophyte.

I've posted this info about a dozen times over the years. And it's pleasing to finally find a page on the net where an intelligent someone backs it up:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:iwZ19TRtTfoJ:www.lennietristano.com /biography.htm+crosscurrent+tristano+1948&hl=en&ct= clnk&cd=1&gl=usAnd

Until relatively recently, it had seldom been acknowledged that Tristano had been the first to perform and record a type of music that came to be called "free jazz." In 1949 -- almost a decade before the making of Ornette Coleman's first records -- Tristano's group (which included Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, and Billy Bauer) cut the first recorded example of freely improvised
(ed. also Peter Ind)
music in the history of jazz. The two cuts, "Intuition" and "Digression," were created spontaneously, without any pre-ordained reference to time, tonality, or melody. The resultant work was an outgrowth of Tristano's preoccupation with feeling and spontaneity in the creation of music. It influenced, among others, Charles Mingus, whose earliest records sound eerily similar to those of Tristano in terms of style and compositional technique.

Go ahead and transpose this material to the recent "free jazz" thread where the obvious is stated over and over again. Maybe you might learn something new.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|