View Single Post
Old 12.20.2017, 05:38 PM   #4843
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i used to go to the shakespeare theater in dc (cheap standing room tix) and not have a fucking clue what went on.

best way for me to get shakespeare in english (no joke) is to watch it as a movie with subtitles. i most remember macbeth as the laurence olivier version from a library vhs tape ha ha ha. and richard III was... the guy who plays loki.hiddles... something. NONONONONO... henry IV, that’s right. and the guy who plays falstaff in it is the greatest.

i do have a ba in english and attended a shakespeare class... for like 2 sessions. it was a bunch of political theory bullshit. i wanted an appreciation not the sociological autopsy of a so-called dead white man.

but yeah, no, reading it in spanish is awesome, h ah ha. othello blew my mind when i was a teenager. i should do it again soon.

Have you ever seen Orson Welles’ “MacBeth?” It’s pretty goddamn great. He did an “Othello” too (and a “Merchant of Venice” but I’ve neber seen those.

What made me interested in Shakespeare was reading “King Lear” in a high school English class. We didn’t have an AP program until my junior year, so I was stuck in regular English with the other kids and the kind-of-dumb teacher who basically used a CliffNotes version of the thing. I read the real play on my own and it blew me the fuck away. Like... OK, every political drama ever can go ahead and call this thing Daddy.”

Orson Welles’ MacBeth is badass though.

I’ve had difficulty with other Shakespeare film adaptations. Very hard to make appealing. Hard to bring the weight of the tragedy or comedy into a modern setting without totally fucking it all to hell.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|