View Single Post
Old 10.01.2014, 04:16 PM   #1224
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
NR.. you're right about The Pharcyde, nobody on the westcoast in 92 sounded like that and elements of this would come to typify the mid-1990s rap sound in the west especially in the Yay Area with the Hieroglyphics.. I will say this, the comedy aspect of the Pharcyde is not an innovation, indeed, rap in LA originated from the party scene and a lot of mid-80s rap was tongue in cheek comedy.. A contemporary record to Bizarre Ride II which has a similar tone and feel (e.g. socially conscious but from a comedic standpoint not taking itself too seriously) was EFIL4ZAGGIN by NWA..

I'd say a proto-influence of Pharcyde would be groups LA groups like World Class Wreckin Cru (really Pharcyde sounds like an up-tempo more street version) or LA Dream Team

After Pharcyde we had Psycho Realm and Da Luniz but you're right Pharcyde are the pioneers..

Though I'm not sure Bizarre Ride II is their best album.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|