View Single Post
Old 01.23.2008, 05:53 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Just out of curiosity: how do you find the time for listening to this continous parade of obscure names' records and form such a precise opinion about them? I'm just curious because it generally can take me weeks, months or even years to properly get certain records, so it seems like quite the miracle that you are performing, there.

I think it's a very pop thing to be able to memorise, or remember like slews of how it works, on only one or two listens. There's a few songs I've not heard more than twice that I know most of the words to and could probably hum most of.

Not a criticism, obviously. I do think (drumroll for a prickish statement) that you need a bit of both. I'm still having problems getting to the bottom of, say, Gould's Goldberg variations - in fact, my pop fascination/ obsession of the last 2 years or so is probably because if I'm not listening to something facile, I'm listening to something that demands a lot of attention. A release if you like.

And I can't help but feel that either Atsonicpark has an exceptional musical ear (in which case he wouldn't be listening to the stuff he is, from what I've heard of it - a moderate amount) or there's something inherently simple about the music. This is still not a criticism.

Actually, this whole statement is probably my bitterness at getting burnt on spending the whole of a summer holiday listening to shit demos and finding myself unable to listen to indie music for a fair while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|