View Single Post
Old 04.02.2014, 07:21 AM   #343
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Isn't there already a Mobb Deep record called the Infamous... ?
Is this a reissue or something weird, or am I just blanking on something here.

Yeah, The Infamous... is one of the defining records of East Coast hip hop of that time man. Up there w/ Illmatic or Enter The Wu for sure. I don't even care, I still listen to Infamous wayyyyyyy more than Ready To Die.

The Infamous... was released in 1995.

The Infamous Mobb Deep was released in 2014.

(Confusing, I agree). But the idea is this - instead of re-issuing the 1995 album, that everyone surely has, why not just give everyone a 'companion album' 20 yrs later? So think of it like a deluxe reissue w/o the original disc.

EDIT: And actually, apparently, if you buy it digitally from Amazon, you'll get the original album as the 3rd disc...

Also interesting is that it's 2 discs... Disc 1 is a brand new album recorded over the past few years with the intention of revisiting the mid-90's sound. Think of it as Mobb Deep's homage to that era of their work. What would it sound like if we made this album in 2014?

Disc 2 is even more interesting of course, as it's referred to as 'the 1994 Infamous Session" and features a bunch of demos/outtakes/etc - basically an alternate version of the 1995 album. Guests including Ghostface, Rae, Nas, etc.

I had trouble picking it up yesterday, but I'm dying to get this thing. It kind of came out of nowhere, but it's suddenly the first record that I'm really excited about this year.