View Single Post
Old 06.22.2010, 03:03 PM   #118
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
Yeah...it's been a couple of years now. They were way under-rated.

Cansafis, the saxophonist, and drummer Brian have had a new thing for the past year and a half or so called Careerers. There's an LP of them. Cansafis also made a Christmas album as Santafis.

That lead guitarist is especially great, though.....I wish he was in a new band. Maybe he is and I just don't know. Not sure what the other guitarist is up to either. They're both married to beautiful ladies now.

This 2nd album from 2004 is the most recommendable for fans of trashed-out garage-punk who are cool with saxophones and some Hendrixian mutant-blues rhythm passages.

The first album has several sideways moments. I can't listen to it in one take.

The last album--Origin & Tectonics--went in a totally unexpected direction. It was produced with great clarity and detail. Professional-grade. Many fans quickly dismissed it as over-produced. But I think it sounds damn good, and it really shows off what a fantastic guitarist Elvis DeMorrow is/was. There were a few too many songs on the record, I thought. It woulda been stronger edited down a bit. The other thing that kinda killed this record was that it was priced at $20 because it included a manufactured CD inside the LP, and it came out at the wrong time to be a duplicative dual-format release. No one wanted to pay for it......especially since there were too many people still sitting on the fence about these guys.

Not many people knew what to make of them when they saw 'em live. A lot of people wrongly reviled them as a band that played live too often and for too long. There was a show at the Stork Club in Oakland where they opened for the Country Teasers, and the Teasers only got to play for 20 minutes because time ran late, and the place had to close. I remember people badmouthing No Doctors for playing too long that day, as if they solely deserved the blame. But, really....what a great live band on the right night!

You can see glimpses of that here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nyiESIBm2s

Hunting Season was my favorite of thiers. But yeah they were a blast.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|