View Single Post
Old 06.25.2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe musical appreciation is like any muscle, overuse, creates fatigue.

I have gone through long stretches where I do not listen to music, and I have gone through long stretches where I do not create any art. I am currently in the middle of one of those. It has been at least 7 months since I have drawn or painted anything substantive.

I think people like many in the SYG board, like us discussing here, are the kind of folks that seek the leading edges, the boundaries, of what we like in music. That makes us bypass 80-90% of what exists because it is not an outlier. When you seek to reside in the avant-garde, your sphere of connections becomes ever smaller. There are only so many drone bands you can hear before they all begin to tread the same territory.

I tend to think that the mind detaching from outside stimuli, (music, art TV etc.) is a signal from yourself to yourself that you need to focus more on what is in you as opposed to what is outside you. The outer stuff becomes tame, boring, or even just easily ignorable.