View Single Post
Old 07.26.2013, 09:05 PM   #45648
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Tenacious D... I'm not exactly up to date on them... (Aren't they basically just an HBO show now, or have they turned into an app or something now?) ...
However, I did see them after their first (only?) album came out, and they definitely have skill. Jack Black is a genuinely proficient guitarist. He knows how to play the thing. He could step in and record as a studio guitarist for any metal band, and the end result would be convincing.

That said, nobody should be comparing him to Frank Zappa. Different worlds. Weird Al is good at playing some instruments, and can probably at least jam a bit on ALL of them. But does that mean we should be comparing him to Beck?

Tenacious D was never intended to cross the bridge, and turn into a serious band. Frank Zappa was never, at any point in his career, a comedian. He was serious in the best way. I can think of only a small handful of artists who can truly be compared to the Mothers of Invention... "The D" are not one of them.

A lot of Frank Zappa was very openly a mockery of "comedy music" and so I agree, its like artificial apple flavoring to the primal apple in the Eden gardens of the Caucasus region where apples originated. Like some freeze-dried coffee to some fresh roasted, wild grown coffee in Yirgecheffe in Southern Ethiopia, where coffee originated. However, apples are apples, coffee is coffee, and Frank Zappa was intentionally trying to be funny, hence comedy. Now was he not being serious? No. Was it deeply satiric? Of course. But people like Joan Boaz or Kurt Cobain are funny in music in a different way and to degree than Frank Zappa. And yes, 1966- 1970 and the Mothers was not exactly serious, in fact, its fucking hilarious in way that makes Tenacious D seem quaint, boring even

One of my all-time favorite fucking tracks ever!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|