View Single Post
Old 10.27.2009, 07:05 AM   #334
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Can you describe what a typical gig was like early on? The liner notes on the first album give this impression of total sensory overload. That seems so different from today, with the age of in-ear monitor systems, digital sound?

Which sucks, in my opinion. In those days, when you'd go to a club, they might have three microphones for the whole band. For years there was never a mic' for the drums, and no monitors. I used to stand to Lou's right on stage. And once he blasted off, I couldn't hear anybody else. It was like a wall went up. So I would just watch his mouth to see where he was in the song, because I couldn't hear the vocal at all. And in my opinion, that made for much more interesting and realistic shows in those days - not just us, but everybody. I don't know, I hate all this technology. I think it's been really bad for music, at least for rock.

For example, in a situation where there's a mic' on everything, now you're depending on the soundman to interpret how you want it to sound. So if your soundman likes a booming bass drum, that's what you wind up with. And I'm very particular about how I want my band to sound, because it represents me. I don't like a loud bass drum, so I don't want the people in the audience to think I do.

How do you retain the benefits of a basic approach to music today?

Well, I've never been able to afford a studio where you have to put on a surgical mask to play. And playing in small clubs like my band does, they're not loaded with equipment, though of course they have sound systems. But I've had times where I've said, "Just take the mic' off the snare, it's too loud." In my opinion, everybody plays way too loud today.

On the Velvets tour it would have been a dream come true - and this still pisses me off that we didn't do this - but my idea was that we go on stage with the same amps we had back then, or as close as possible. But of course we had to be high-tech. I really think the fans would have loved it, though.

Are there any new artists you enjoy?

Not much. [laughs] When I listen to music, I listen to old stuff. Bo Diddly, of course. Little Richard, girl groups, all that stuff from the late '50s through the mid '60s - The Beatles, The Stones' first three albums. I also love The Violent Femmes. I think their drummer, Victor DeLorenzo, is wonderful. I like Jonathan Richman very much. Half Japanese. One new band I really like is The Raveonettes - no pretensions, really interesting.

What do you think your personal influence has been?

I think it's on kids who are more into music - the ones who are more likely to listen to older stuff, like, I like this person, what did he listen to? I get fan mail from twelve-year olds, fourteen-year-olds, saying, I love The Velvets, I really like your playing, things like that. And on tour there are many young people who say things like, "I started playing drums because of you." To me that's a great reward.

For more information on Maureen, go to www.spearedpeanut.com/tajmoehal/

http://www.moderndrummer.com/web_exc...ureen%20Tucker
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|