View Single Post
Old 01.11.2017, 11:33 AM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
AAAAAnyway. I'm not pissed that Lemonade got more attention than A Seat... Solange was selected as NPR's album of the year, and was at or near the top of pretty much every list, right next to her sister. They're very different albums, but I'm not attached enough to either of them to be mad about which one gets more attention.

Ultimately, both records are really just timepieces for modern R&B production and songwriting teams. Neither Beyoncé nor Solange was the primary artistic force behind their respective albums. They were just the face, the voice, and provided inspiration for the storytellers. When it comes to music like that, music that is so removed or detached from the "artist," I can only get so attached. Here's nothing wrong with letting other people produce, record, engineer and mostly write your songs... but it results in a less personal form of music. I would hesitate to attribute any of ASATT's observations directly to Solange Knowles, and it's not super appropriate to treat her as the source of the intellectual properties of the music. To say "Solange made a protest album" is only partially accurate. In truth, Solange participated in the creation of a "protest" product, which she put her name on.

Sorry to be that guy, but there is a certain part of the artistic puzzle that is missing from BOTH releases. This is not John Lennon sitting at a piano writing "Imagine" here. It's something much different. I'm not saying that what it is is BAD... as long as the music sounds good to you/me/us, who cares, right? But I will say that its missing a layer of from-the-gut, personal artistic expression.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|