View Single Post
Old 04.24.2012, 08:22 AM   #107
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
[You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Murmer99 again.]

I too love the claustrophobia of The Shining, and some of the set pieces are among my favourite in any horror movie. The blood from the elevator is definitely a masterstroke.

Regarding your point about Full Metal Jacket, I agree that it's one of his most 'flat' films. And from a personal perspective, it didn't help that the scenes based in Vietnam were shot around the corner from where I was brought up, breaking the spell somewhat.

Of all the films on my list, Basket Case is probably the one I have the most affection for, even if I don't necessarily think it's the best. I first saw it around the same time that I first heard The Cramps and the two seemed to form in my head as a kind of artistic 'position' which to seem degree I still hold on to. It was that whole trash culture thing which lead to my interest in movies like Funhouse and Carnival of Souls, as well as to people like Richard Kern and, more obviously, to the likes of Ed Wood and HG Lewis and B horror movies in general. It also went some way to underpinning my fascination with groups like The Ramones, Pussy Galore and early White Zombie, which seemed to translate those influences into something else entirely but which remain (in my mind) a kind of broadly unified almost subcultural 'thing'. Given all of that, the biggest mystery to me is that, despite endless attempts, I've never been able to get into The Misfits (the band, not the movie).
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|