View Single Post
Old 03.17.2011, 12:57 PM   #14276
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

I guess the only problem with this is that I kinda like Troll 2 and always have. I don't consider it to be the worst movie ever, or even close to it. It's just a genuinely entertaining film. I'd watch it any day over IRREVERSIBLE or most of Daron Aronofsky's films, any of Richard Kelley's crap (Darko, Southland Tales, the Box), Antichrist (and most of Von Trier's crap -- I don't like to use the word "pretentious" in a critical way, but Von Trier is the definition of the word, and most of his films are bad), Death Proof, most of Eli Roth's stuff, most mainstream horror of the last decade, most underground horror of the last 15 years, almost everything Full Moon has released that they had a hand in creating, both of the Matrix sequels, all Pirates of the Caribean movies, all the Shrek movies, The Expendables, Salo, Superman 3, etc etc etc etc... all those films are a lot worse to sit through than Troll 2.

BY BRAKHAGE ANTHOLOGY VOLUME 2

Well, was finally able to borrow this, it's like a $60 DVD... it's probably almost worth that. I dunno. Some good stuff here. Would've been nice if I could've just rented it off of Netflx like the first volume, but they don't carry DVD's that anyone would want anymore. Anyway, BRakhage is.... well... DOG STAR MAN is my favorite experimental film of all time. And this guy has done some more amazing stuff like DANTE QUARTET. On the other hand, you will NEVER hear anyone be the LEAST BIT critical of Brakhage. It's almost like an unspoken rule, thou shalt not criticze Brakhage (Lynch was similiarly untouchable until people figured out that he hasn't made anything watchable in at least a decade). So... well, I'm not here to criticize Brakhage, but let's just say the first volume had a lot "better" -- more entertaining/thought provoking/interesting/influential/etc -- movies than this one. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of good stuff here, but Brakhage made like 600 films. Not all were amazing. Not all were even interesting. In fact, quite a few were pretty samey. JEFF KEEN is a much better filmmaker yet has been 100% ignored in America. Ridiculous. Anyway, this is still one of the best sets Criterion has ever released check it out.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|