View Single Post
Old 06.22.2015, 09:09 AM   #39082
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Bingo. My problem. My bosses speak fast. One is a young millenial, another is older than me. Both speak like hustling sales people. This allows them to force their ideas on their listener because, one, it's almost impossible to interrupt them, and two, they easily interrupt the slow talker.

I find, almost, that I cannot speed up my speech. I'm an introvert. I process things. I even process as I'm talking, and this forces me to slow down and think about what I want to say next. This gives them the impression that I don't know what to think or say--not true.

It's frustrating. When you find that cave, let me know. Or a nice Zen monastery in Japan, perhaps?

Sometimes I just give up. I let them go on and on, and I just look at them, and when they're done, I go, "Hmm. Interesting." or something like that. Then they might say, "What do you think?" When that happens, I make sure to preface my remarks, with something like, "Thank you for asking. I have several thoughts. I'll tell you what those three or four things are in a nutshell, and then I can expand or elaborate, if you'd like me to."

Inevitably, they will interrupt with thoughts, objections, etc., in the course of my side of the conversation. I make sure that, in my head, I'm ticking off my points and don't lose track of the points I wanted to make. So when they're done, I might go, "So, I talked about a couple of my points. I have two more, as I mentioned. The next is ..."

It's challenging. In a way, it's interesting, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i forget where but i read somewhere that people trust more those who speak slowly-- in america anyway

on the other hand, speaking slowly is a great way of opening yourself to being constantly interrupted by fast-talking nervous types

i should go live in a cave

==

not sure how relevant/irrelevant but we're having forest firest all around the state

smells "nice", breathes kind of awful