View Single Post
Old 01.23.2015, 03:47 PM   #3764
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
so... i went and looked at an updated translation of the glass bead game (by some dude with a russian last name). and in the preface the translator was explaining how previous translators had missed the humor and irony in that book (which is something had already been recognized by thomas mann when hesse sent him a draft).

so then i kept reading and the translator kept going into ideas behind the book and he started taling about the influence of nietzsche and jacob burckhardt and how some characters were modeled after them... so...

then i ended up looking up burckhardt on wikipedia (the inventor of cultural history!) and seeing his bibliography and i ended up finding one of his books... "the civilization of the renaissance in italy" (he's got another about the ancient greeks).

now i think i might just end up reading burckhardt first ha ha ha ha
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|