View Single Post
Old 07.26.2010, 09:32 AM   #5316
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Oh, if you enjoy the early Waits like Closing Time, then I will recommend another one, because that stuff's both awesome and very different, and really under-loved I feel. Nighthawks at the Diner? Seriously, essential. There are times when the early, smoother, 'smokey bar' Waits stuff is my absolute favourite by him, and that's always been my most loved album from that period. It's recorded live in the studio, and is basically absolutely ace Closing Time-esque stuff, but interweaved with long sections of him just rambling off on little chats kind of related to the songs with the band playing behind him, and it's masterful. If you ever feel a hole in your life for pretty much the ultimate late night drunk guy at a piano in a dive bar kind of album (so pretty much the early Tom Waits cliche haha), but done just really beautifully and sincerely, it's perfect. Check it.

that sounds intriguing. 'smokey bar' is exactly how I"d describe the Waits stuff that I DO like.