View Single Post
Old 11.02.2008, 01:52 PM   #10
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
1. The Pop Group-Y/Magma-Mekanik Kommandoh
2. Can-Tago Mago/PIL-Metal Box
3. The Stooges-Fun House/Wire-Chairs Missing
4. The Dictators-Viva Dictators/Alice Cooper-Killer
5. Suicide-Debut
6. Lee Perry and the Upsetters-Super Ape
7. The Germs-(GI).Captain Beefheart-Shiny Beast
8. Blue Oyster Cult-S/T/Neil Young-Zuma
9. Devo-Q: Are We Not Men A:We Are Devo
10. Black Sabbath-Master of Reality/Hawkwind-Space Ritual
11. New York Dolls-S/T
12. Pere Ubu-Dub Housing/King Crimson-Red
13. The Patti Smith Group-Horses/Captain Beefheart-Lick My Decals off Baby
14. The Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street
15. Throbbing Gristle-20 Jazz Funk Greats
16. Ash Ra Tempel-Shwingungen
17. Faust-The Faust Tapes
18. The Adverts-Crossing the Red Sea with The Adverts/The Dead Kennedys-Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
19. Lou Reed-Metal Machine Music
20. Joy Division-Unknown Pleasures/Wire-Pink Flag
21. Richard Hell and the Voidoids-Blank Generation/The Raincoats-S/T
22. The Dead Boys-Young, Loud, and Snotty
23. Roxy Music-Country Life
24. Hendrix-Band of Gypsies
25. Parliament Funkadelic-Maggot Brain
26. Art Ensemble of Chicago-A Jackson In Your House
27. Lou Reed-Berlin
28. Crass-Feeding of the 5000
29. Led Zeppelin-Physical Grafitti
30. Miles Davis-Live Evil
31. Augustus Pablo-Meets King Tubby at the Rockers Uptown
32. T. Rex-20th Century Boy/Sparks-Kimono My House
33. James Brown-The Payback
34. Television-Marquee Moon
35. The Damned-Damned Damned Damned
36. The Cramps-Bad Music for Bad People
37. Soft Machine-Third
38. Bob Dylan and the Band-The Basement Tapes
39. Popul Vuh-Curly Sound
40. Henry Cow-In Praise of Leaning
41. The Art Bears-Hopes and Fears
42. Derek Bailey/Gavin Bryayrs-Jesus Blood Never Failed Me/The Sinking of the Titanic
43. Sonny Sharrock-Paradise
44. Gang Of Four-Entertainment!/Stevie Wonder-Innervisions
45. James "Blood" Ulmer-Are You Glad to be in America
46. Black Sabbath-Paranoid
47. The Ramones-Rocket to Russia
48. John Cale-Paris 1919
49. Van Morrison-Veedon Fleece
50. Motorhead-Bomber/Sly and the Family Stone-There's a Riot Goin On

when its said and done, "No New York" could very well be my favorite thing of the decade, but I kept it to full lengths.

EDIT: I inexplicably forgot to mention any records by my favorite artist (Captain Beefheart) and my favorite funk artist (Sly Stone) and my favorite blind funk artist (Stevie Wonder) I am satisfied. In fact, this is my favorite list I have ever made. Every record on here is emotionally important and significant to me, every album brings back memories. Like the first time I heard the Dictators and I couldn't decide if it was a really bad Hard Rock band or a brilliant Proto-Punk Glam band, I decided with the earlier and boom, been one of my favorite bands ever since. That's why there's so many ties on there, I couldn't exclude any of those. There's no way I can mention (GI) without giving it up to the first Blue Oyster Cult album.

I know I was reppin the 80s, but I repped the 80s as being the best for "Underground" music, as that was the decade when good music was no longer synonomous with popular music, in fact, pop music and good music went totally divergent paths in the 80s. But in the 70s, when everyone was recovering from the false promises of the 60s, everyone was making good tunes. Rock, Pop, Funk, Jazz, Punk, Glam, Metal, etc.. All major genres in the 70s.

I remember reading something in Blastitude about the significane of the 70s. Dolman was writing how in the 70s there was sooooo much great music coming out, even though there were by comparison with today, very little bands. This is why music fans of the 70s are familar with all the great music and not just one type and 70s lists are filled with such a rich and diverse variety styles of tunes. I am really nostalgic for a time like the 70s. A time when I could listen to great tunes and actually have tons of people who agreed with me. For some reason I always picture the 70s as this like "Dazed and Confused" paradise, where High School doesn't mean shit and you can dick off all day and cut class to go home and listen to Led Zeppelin in your basement and smoke pot with people abd try to decipher the goofy lyrics, only to go to great parties later where the early classics by Aerosmith and Sabbath are rockin out. Unlike today where I scare people off with Haters tapes. Obviously I know how naive that view is, but damn, nice thought, ain't it?
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|