View Single Post
Old 08.25.2011, 05:50 PM   #4353
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
This just makes me all the more grateful that I'm a console exclusive gamer. I can hardly handle long-winded CGI intros, let alone having to fill out paperwork when I wanna try out a new game. ha

Well to be honest this was the first time this has happened, usually it's a bit easier haha. Definitely a step up from DOS days, that sucked.

Quote:
I love when designers take the extra creative step by adding the tiniest of touches like that. Duke Nukem always had pretty clever titles for its difficulty levels. Games that go the extra mile to insult their players are especially entertaining; having things like "Wuss" and "Crybaby" instead of "Easy" and "Very Easy".

This also works really well with Game Over screens. Like in Friday the 13th for NES:

Pinball of the Dead, and Monster Party have awesomely sinister screens too. Even Donkey Kong Country features a pretty depressing one...

But okay, I'm definitely rambling now...

Yeah, Monster Party's game over screen was always depressing. Actually everything about that game is depressing. Entering the password, everything. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's game over screen always made me laugh somewhat.

It basically is saying 'give it up, you're not going to beat this game. Just cut your losses and go outside.'

But the most unique difficulty selection I can think of was in Quake. When you had to actively jump into the portal of your choice. And the harder ones were more intense looking. Hard having the lava you had to jump over with the withering corpses hanging off the wall. And then there was Nightmare difficulty which was hidden haha.

Quote:
This definitely isn't a new thing for them though. Often times customers complain of receiving "new" games with the shrink wrap already removed.

GameStop has this policy where they let their employees loan out a title to take home, and try out for themselves. I believe the rules are only 1 game allowed at a time, and if the disc is visibly damaged - they have to buy it. But still though, it's the principle of the whole thing - and now that so many games have DLC content (thankfully I've never had to deal with this), or even Club Nintendo points, who knows exactly what the employee is up to?

Don't even get me started on them literally throwing out the cases for PS2 and DS games. It's criminal.

Man, that makes me want to never buy from gamestop again. Though I never shopped there much to begin with. I bought from there...Metal Gear Solid 2, this Fallout/Fallout 2 compilation which doesn't work very well, X-COM collector's edition, and uh World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. Yeah, that's everything I ever bought there.

Speaking of DLC, I hate that stuff. I always feel like it's just a piece of the game the developers decided to hold back so they can get another five bucks out of you or something when they release it. Yeah some games have free dlc, though I don't know how common that is. And it's never significant.

But this Deus Ex thing is funny, I mean I'd never even heard of Onlive before two days ago. I can't figure how Gamestop thought this was a good idea. Did they just think no one would notice? Idiots.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|