View Single Post
Old 08.25.2011, 04:22 PM   #4352
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Yeah, my sister was telling me about this yesterday, it's ridiculous. I bought my copy at wal-mart, and it came with all 57 codes or whatever that came with it (OK, it was only four but that's still overkill). I was actually kind of annoyed because of that. Because as soon as I opened it all these cards with these different codes fell out. There's the one on the manual, the onlive one, this Steam registration one, and this Square-Enix registration one.

First thing I think is 'OK, which one do I use to play the fucking game?' And the instillation doesn't help very much, when it comes to put in the cd key it says something along the lines of 'you will find the key either on the manual, the jewel case, x card, or somewhere else'. But what made it that much more convoluted was that there were 5 boxes where you put in the code, so you would assume you put in five brackets of serials numbers. But nooooo, every single one of these cards has 3 brackets or less.

For about five seconds I thought I was going to have to combine some of them. But nah, you just fill up three spaces and it accepts that. Later today I might see if these other codes offer anything extra.

This just makes me all the more grateful that I'm a console exclusive gamer. I can hardly handle long-winded CGI intros, let alone having to fill out paperwork when I wanna try out a new game. ha

Quote:

In any case, its a great game. The difficulty levels crack me up. They aren't listed in that conventional 'easy' 'medium' 'hard'. They're listed 'give me a story' 'give me a challenge' and the one I expect everyone will pick just because of the way it's worded: 'give me Deus Ex'.

I love when designers take the extra creative step by adding the tiniest of touches like that. Duke Nukem always had pretty clever titles for its difficulty levels. Games that go the extra mile to insult their players are especially entertaining; having things like "Wuss" and "Crybaby" instead of "Easy" and "Very Easy".

This also works really well with Game Over screens. Like in Friday the 13th for NES:

Pinball of the Dead, and Monster Party have awesomely sinister screens too. Even Donkey Kong Country features a pretty depressing one...

But okay, I'm definitely rambling now...

Quote:
But yeah about the gamestop thing. That's so goofy, I don't even really care about not having the onlive thing. Just the fact that they open the game up is just insane. If they're gong to be such chumps about that. They better sell it at used price. Or better yet not open the fucking game up and taking out a coupon that honestly I doubt that many people will use. I mean, all it is is a coupon for a digital copy of the game right? So whatever. I don't have to worry about it, it's just absurd.

Exactly.

This definitely isn't a new thing for them though. Often times customers complain of receiving "new" games with the shrink wrap already removed.

GameStop has this policy where they let their employees loan out a title to take home, and try out for themselves. I believe the rules are only 1 game allowed at a time, and if the disc is visibly damaged - they have to buy it. But still though, it's the principle of the whole thing - and now that so many games have DLC content (thankfully I've never had to deal with this), or even Club Nintendo points, who knows exactly what the employee is up to?

Don't even get me started on them literally throwing out the cases for PS2 and DS games. It's criminal.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|