Thread: LA recs??
View Single Post
Old 05.23.2017, 07:53 AM   #17
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
haaa haaa haaa... i warned you about venice!

and yeah... well, LA is something else altogether. i don't think it reflects the country as a whole. it's more like... an outer planet or something. a strange, strange culture. very alien.

the violent gentrification btw is why i left washington dc. which i used to love when it was a run-down, bombed-out city. but now? just insufferable.

a lot of urban centers are like that of course. but maybe check out some suburbs/exurbs/small towns to see how "the other half" lives. i mean if you like the random anthropology of the unplanned excursion.

requires a car, though...

so you still here or is this a retrospective account?
all retrospective. been back a couple of weeks..

yeah a really, really alien city indeed. I sort of saw it as a distillation of everything dumpy I stumbled on across the country, but it's so brazen/shameless that it comes across as endearing rather than bizarro posturing completely lacking in self awareness like it does elsewhere. like austin is a joke (which I gathered before going there), and I'm not sure it has a sense of humour about itself in the way that LA does, as if its merits are attached to how much of a fucking shithole it is. mean this affectionately, I should add - could very easily live there.

it's odd to see, especially as compared with where I'm from -- gentrification is totally insidious as it is everywhere but here I suppose there's some sort of integration, like it's elevating a portion of an area/community to a particular socioeconomic level before they get pushed out too (boomers flocking to the inner cities clasping at their youth), whereas in the states I found it's just people moving outward, transplanting a similar if not identical culture atop a neighbourhood and forcing residents along. it's not 'regenerative' in any sense, it's just a constant thrust. any form of gentrification though I generally find pretty off; in aus as with anywhere it's totally mindless. your big cities just a very extreme instance of it.

and I saw a lot of that "other half" living and frankly that was what disturbed me, like middle class america seems like a totally incomprehensible hell to me in that stereotypical sense, especially across the centre of the country (texas, tennessee, good god fucking arkansas and mississippi) -- have never seen such a nightmarish conception of blind consumerism. seriously have nightmares about driving along those interstates with those enormous maccas signs for 500km ceaselessly.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|