View Single Post
Old 07.14.2016, 10:16 PM   #16
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
OK, forget that specific term —which, yes, has been historically overused by critics who dismiss music that isn't being made by the latest shiny model they're enthralled by— and let's just say that during the, um, "reunion decade" they basically sleepwalked through their back catalog, and that the disgraceful new material after that only made things worse.

I thought Indie Cindy was a good rock album, not a million miles away from Trompe in conception. I think they played it too safe with the production and performances, and there were probably 4 or so songs that would have been better on a Frank Black live-to-tape album.

The sad thing about the whole reunion decade that you mention, is that if they were able to make an album with the best tracks from Bluefinger, Sevenfingers, Nonstoerotik (songs Charles was probably hoping would be on the new Pixies album) Indie Cindy and even Mountain Battles it would have certainly been more worthy of their back catalogue...

Imagine:

Captain Pasty
Lake of Sin
Threshold Apprehension
Bagboy
When They Come To Murder Me
Test Pilot Blues
What Goes Boom
Walk It Off (the Kim vocal track)
Dead Man's Curve
I Sent Away
Magdalena 318
Bang On (with a screamy Black Francis vocal double with Kim)
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|