View Single Post
Old 01.23.2015, 05:30 PM   #36
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Its not the hippies that Neil has dissed, its Bush voting rednecks who had no idea who the real Neal Young is. Its sort of like the irony of hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit at meathead high school football games when that crowd was exactly who Kurt personally despised. Neal Young has always tried to sabotage his "mainstream" appeal by making his art according to his vision and sadly a lot of people who do not share his vision, unlike ourselves, have at times misbelieved that they liked him. They created a trope in their minds that is not the real man or his art. Also by serendipity on my lunch today i was watching Heart of Gold and i LOVED it. God bless you Neil, you're a true human being.

I have to disagree. I put that hippie slam in my post but there are a lot of misguided people who think he should just redo Harvest again and again. I don't think it's all about politics. There are a lot of people who aren't Bush voting rednecks who aren't adventurous at all musically and can't understand why Neil does whatever the hell he wants musically and if you want to follow him, fine, if not, too bad. That's not to say every musical direction he's taken has been successful, or that you can't be a fan of his music if you don't like all of it. But I wouldn't put it down to simply "right wingers hate Neil Young"--although a lot of them no doubt do. Neil has long gotten shit over changing musical directions, and not all of it from hippies or Fix News watchers.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|