View Single Post
Old 08.01.2007, 10:44 AM   #35
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Not a common occurrence, but don't you just hate that one song you can't stand in that otherwise flawless album? I know I do.

Replacement's Black Diamond sounds awful to me and I can't pin point it. The "ooh black diamond" sounds like "holy diver" to me and the whole "out of the streets for a living" sounds like the pseudo-tough guy stuff Guns N Roses would write. Otherwise, I love Let It Be.

Whenever I put on Zen Arcade, I expect continuous awesome and then "Monday Will Never Be The Same" comes on and I'm thoroughly confused. We don't need a slow down piano filler.

I would love Isn't Anything if the weird accidentally hip hop "Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside)" wasn't present. And the "wonk wonk" and the "break down" parts are annoying. But I do laugh when he asks Can I touch you there?

"Rape Me" is almost a total study in repetitive lyrics if it weren't for that middle versus which is nice but not enough. But I love the rest of In Utero.

Pixies' "There Goes My Gun" suffers from the same problem without the help of any verses at all. Friend or foe repeated three times... awesome.

"Bubblegum" makes absolutely no sense tacked onto the otherwise dark EVOL with the CD release. In fact putting anything after the ending to Expressway to Yr. Skull should be a crime. This was a leading reason as to why I didn't fully appreciate the album until I got it on vinyl and it's locked loop goodness.

There, it was nice to get those off my chest.

Out of all of these albums you mention, the ones I still listen to the most are Evol and The Replacements' Let It Be. You didn't indicate any acknowledgement that "Black Diamond" is a cover. It's a KISS song...a good KISS song, and it's a great cover by The 'Mats.

"Bubblegum" often gets singled-out in this manner; In no way is it so horrible that it deserves such treatment. There's plenty to enjoy about "Bubblegum." And, it's also a cover. It's originally by Kim Fowley and appears on his rather nutty 1968 album, Outrageous. Again, you didn't mention it was a cover in your post.

I very rarely listen to Zen Arcade ("What's Going On" usually) and I listen to the other albums you mentioned even less often.

The whole Isn't Anything? album is decent, but it's also overrated by people into "cool" music. The "Can I touch you there?" musical query you mention is awkward just as you cited. I prefer (hehe) Joan Jett to ask, "Do you wanna touch me there?"

Pixies did a lot of good stuff. They also wrote a bunch of junk too.

"Rape Me" is indeed annoying and In Utero is a good album; you got that one right.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|