View Single Post
Old 02.01.2011, 03:59 AM   #30
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, Sight Unseen has a great setup with the suspended guitar, the three screens and two gong players. When people entered the room the film was already screening. People gathered around the light spot above the guitar and when a voice demanded people to sit down, half of them, including me, actually did. Seems I was gonna shoot this performance sitting down, which was a good thing I think afterwards. Acorrding to Lee this performance was quite different then the one from Toronto.

After 5 minutes Lee made 'acte de presence' and started swirling the guitar around as it was dangling above the heads of the people sitting down. Definitely a hard task trying to follow it with my camera. I was especially very amazed by the first 20 minutes of the performance where Lee's actions integrated nicely with the background film of backwards firework and so much more. A lot different then the Drift performance.

Lee also removed the guitar from it's string to go into the crowd and was using his amps on each side of the wall to generate more noise/sounds.
After about 55 minutes Lee finished it off and left stage leaving the,again suspended, guitar hanging in the center. As a conclusion of the gig people approached the guitar using cellular phones and stuffed animals to generate more sounds, maybe to hope for a Lee encore. Afterwards I heard from Lee that this was also part of the Toronto gig where people did this in the middle of the concert.

In the end had a great shoot, was happy to meet Rappard and Pokkeherrie and Rappard and me got to chat some more with Lee backstage.

I will hopefully have a video up soon.

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|