View Single Post
Old 02.16.2013, 09:09 PM   #84
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
thx dude. Was curious. I've listened to all teh bootlegs, but last time was probalby like 2008. I stick to legit albums far more. So was just curious how it played out.

Afeni Shakur didn't like the bootlegs, but that is probably because quite literally they came out under shady circumstances. DeathRow was initially started as a money laundering scheme which never intended to be so commercially successful. All the folks who worked there were gang affiliated, mostly drug dealers with some crooked cops too. After Tupac's death, in between pending lawsuits over his archives and back catelouge, all the bootlegs showed up all over LA. Again, initially in MOB Pirus (the set Suge and most of DeathRow were part of) neighborhoods. Many folks believed there was a direct connection between these leaked albums and DeathRow. Afeni herself sued them many times claiming that DeathRow was releasing the bootlegs on the side to make cash off the books and steal Tupac's archive materials. She did inevitably win many of those suits which is where all the "legit" post-houmous albums came out. However, to deal with copyright issues and because of her own matters of taste, she had most if not ALL the archive material remixed in the studio. While Afeni doesn't want to admit it, those remixes reflect HER interpretation of Tupac, and not necessarily Tupac's interpretation. True, about 50% of the Makaveli bootleg material is garbage mixed, and about 25% probably was just acapella tapes which were quickly remixed over some beats that Pac had never heard or had anything to do with. However, for a solid 50% of those bootlegs are outtakes and unreleased rough mixes, especially those with the Outlawz rapping, that most definitely reflect Tupac's style from 1994-1996 WAAAAAAY more than the legit reissued versions which came out later.

So while I totally support Afeni Shakur, in all actuality it seems to me she let her ego get in the way and those remixes do NOT sound like how Tupac would have wanted them as Makaveli. The good stuff on the bootlegs I feel better sounds like how it is obvious that Makaveli would have wanted them. The bootleg material all sounds like a continuation of All Eyes on Me and the Seven Day Theory, the later remixed reissues really don't have any kind of sound at all, they are all just loosely put together as an anthology of sorts. That is why I bump the bootlegs, I like them better, they just feel more Tupac than the legit reissues..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|